Tuesday, June 16, 2015

I hope this doesn't offend anyone....for once..

Amended to say:

Hubby has given me some good reasons why this is different. 99% of which have to do with the Police and how they (not unilaterally but) usually treat black people. Lefties may have  had their hands cut off and Witches may have been burned and Jews may have been persecuted but none of that is happening here and now and that is why this is different. I agree...ish but still believe this is being blown way out of proportion and that this woman is entitled to whatever skin color and hairstyle she wants. She is entitled to pass herself off as whoever she wants. If not, then all is hypocrisy. 





I hope this doesn't offend anyone as that is completely not my intention.

I'll pause here while you compose yourself.

I just keep seeing people who's opinion I respect getting upset over the "white woman living as a black woman" news and I want to understand why. If you don't know what I"m talking about look herePerhaps there is an angle I am not seeing. 

have a question. A long roundabout way of getting there but bare with me...



So, we can chose whatever religion we want to be regardless of the one that we were born into.

And we can choose whatever gender we want to be regardless of the one we were born into...
...or no gender at all for that matter. 


But when somebody who was born into a culture she does not identify with.... 


instead makes her life into and about a culture she feels she belongs to 
and emulates that culture...





 it is wrong and hateful to the group she is emulating?  


     A man born into a woman's body would adopt the appearance of a woman, the feminine characteristics of movement and speech and interests. We would refer to him as "her". I never hear of woman-kind in an uproar over gender appropriation. 

    When a person changes religion they don the requisite apparel and support the interests and practices of the religion perhaps even become an activist for it. They can become extremely learned and become teachers within that religion and in general are not persecuted for joining but welcomed. And if this person was trying to live their life as their chosen gender or religion and someone else outed them we would all be angry at the person who did the outing not the individual. 

     Why is being black different? The only thing I can tell so far that this woman did that was wrong was take a scholarship intended for a person of color and even that to me is questionable because if a scholarship was intended for a man... and a man who had been born into a woman's body but transitioned into a man applied for it... would he be denied? 

     I can't even fault her for withholding her background. Do we require people applying for positions as rabbis to reveal whether or not they may have been born Christian? Do potential female employees, even ones doing a traditionally "female" job like a lingerie model, have to reveal whether they were born female or male?


Isn't this whole outrage thing extremely hypocritical?





   Why is being black different?


   I''m not saying there isn't racism although it does irk me that many black people seem to think they have a monopoly on it. But this whole cultural appropriation thing has got to be dropped. This is America. If you don't want your culture appropriated you need to patent and copyright that shit. Besides isn't imitation the highest form of flattery? 

I really do want to hear from you.


But, before anyone answers that I'd understand if I were black. I'm a left-handed Jewish Witch. We've got being universally loathed and hunted to extinction down to an art form. Try me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to read my ramblings...I think.