Sunday, August 10, 2014

Dear Pennsic, Fuck You!

Fuck you for being so beautiful that everyday life looks like the color has been washed out of it. The grass was actually greener. The sky bluer. The people more colorful and expressive in their choice of garb and experimental with their hair, jewelry, and makeup. The music was sweeter. The drums pulsed in time to my heartbeat. The fires were brighter. The jokes funnier. The drinks more intoxicating. 

Fuck you for being so exhausting that I have never come home from a vacation so relaxed before. Seriously though -  heat and I don't play well together. "This is not the weather of my people" was muttered multiple times and yet there I was: Sticky, sweaty, moderately 
My people hail from Siberia and carry portable sunshades.
dehydrated from the previous nights alcohol, and still totally blissed out to be there.


Fuck you for introducing me to so many awesome people that I will miss them for another whole year. No really. Like - every single person I met was great. Ok, except that one dude....at the virgin sacrifice.....who couldn't take a joke. He wasn't so much fun but the other 12,000 people were pretty fucking great.


Fuck you for your fine and free flowing inebriates. My usual 4 o'clock glass of wine, drunk quickly in solitude over the kitchen sink in a last ditch attempt to keep from murdering my children, is lonely and flavorless in comparison with your delicious and often homemade brews and no, I still don't want to know what's in it or how it was made, REFILL PLEASE!



 Pappy's famous Moonshine. Guaranteed to put hair on your chest, make you forget the names of your children, and buy an $800.00 pair of boots from Son of Sandlar and think it was a steal!

Fuck you for helping me discover the answer to that annoying party question "if you had to eat one food for the rest of your life what would it be?" Because it is bacon. Cast iron cooked bacon. Crispy, crunchy, salty, fatty, bacon. Mmmmm....bacon.
I heart bacon


Fuck you for showing me so many things that I really really want to be and do because now I have more things I want to be and do and well...you didn't know me very well Pennsic. If you did you'd know that I was already trying to be and do a great many things which will now be shoved back a few places while I figure out how to construct a loom in my basement and shoot arrows in my yard without killing my neighbors.

Fuck you for ruining normal men for me forever. As if the bar wasn't high enough now all men must wear armor....all the time....because it is so damn sexy the thought of it does funny things to my lady parts. Seriously though, most of these guys would just be normal guys in normal clothes at their normal jobs in their normal lives but slap on some armor and let them wail on each other with some bamboo and I am reduced to incoherent babble. 


You can shazam me anytime sweetie.


Take a normal guy, add a little Pennsic, and shazamm! Jason Mamoa.











I think I'm going to need a moment after the Jason Mamoa google images page I just scrolled through.

ok,

<stay on target....STAY ON TARGET>

I"m good now. Where was I?

Oh, Fuck that fucking harpist. Nothing has ever awakened me at 7am with a fucking smile on my face. Ever. How dare you.

Bitch.

And while I'm on music Fuck the Drummers! The party drummers providing sensual beats for the belly dancers and fire dancers and shit faced partygoers. The war drummers making my heart race with their deep inexorable pounding. Those fucking whackos who chased us off the hill at 3am with their creepy drumming in the mists and fog. I can not stand still when there is drumming. My hips sway. My body moves. I'm not saying I'm any good at that part but damn! I want them to provide a soundtrack to my life. Washing dishes and navigating Long Island traffic would be way more exciting with drummers.

Fuck you Pennsic for being so full of activity that I kept forgetting my camera and have no documentation of anything outside the camp!

And finally Pennsic - Fuck you for allowing me the space to reinvent myself.....as me.  

Pennsic me is awesome! She does pretty much what she wants. She doesn't wait on people out of obligation. She doesn't have to pretend to be anything she isn't for the comfort of others. She eats what and when she wants. She doesn't swallow 2 dozen supplements a day in a vain effort to manage bodily dis-eases. She doesn't even seem to feel the effects of them. Hypothyroidism? Whats thats? She stays out late laughing and drinking, she walks miles with no pain and no complaining, she gets up early, with no hangover, and more surprisingly - stays up and doesn't nap! Her brain produces witty comebacks and dialogues which are actually available for use by her mouth DURING a conversation not hours later wondering why she couldn't think of that before. She doesn't really care what her hair looks like because it is matted to her head with sweat and there is nothing she can do about it. She doesn't care what her skin looks like because sweat and mascara are a recipe for disaster. She doesn't take offense. She seeks only fun. If fun isn't happening over here....she goes somewhere else and doesn't feel guilt about leaving. Actually she doesn't feel guilt at all.

That deserves its own paragraph.

Fuck you Pennsic for showing me that I can live without feeling guilty about my every move. That I can be decisive and not look back. That I can live in the moment and not wonder how it might be different had I made some other choice.

One night while stumbling happily home through the mud I realized that, miracle of miracles, - I was happy. This is no small thing. I was HAPPY! I wasn't even drunk! I felt free. I felt like the person I always want to be. The person life usually doesn't let me be. And I realized that that is probably the reason that all the people around me seemed so fucking awesome too. At Pennsic they weren't defined by their relationship to someone else - mother, father, husband, wife. They weren't defined by their occupation or their station. They weren't defined by how they look (sweaty and muddy) how old they are (young at heart) or where they are from (because its all made up). And yet we were never more honest. The SCA allows them to be who they really are. The mundane world is the play. The masque. The SCA is where they go to be themselves and be accepted for it. Freak flag flying proud. And it worked its magic on me too. I've often wondered who I would be without the "s" word hanging around my neck dragging me down to dark dismal depths. STRESS. Without it I'm pretty fucking great too.


Normal Me
Me at Pennsic. Yes I have wings... And Abs.


So the funny part is - I was only at Pennsic for 3 days. 3 FUCKING DAYS. All this awesome was compressed into 72 hours (minus the 10 or so combined hours I bothered to sleep). 

There was a great deal of lead in to this trip. Many years of many friends telling me how great it is and how much fun I was going to have. How many times in one's life can it be said that the real thing not only held up to peoples opinions but surpassed it? Not many.  So now I am faced with the sad truth. Pennsic was awesome. And now it is over for another 49 weeks. I have many new things I want to do and more SCA events I want to attend and new acquaintances who I want to turn into old friends and have to figure out how to make it happen without spending any money but I think it will work out somehow because miracles do happen - even to me. Oh - and I have to get my husband armor.

So FUCK YOU PENNSIC one last time. Because it was fantastic and I can't wait to fuck you again next year ;-)

and FYI It is a truth which should be universally acknowledged that pretty much anything is more fun if you do it in a tent. 




46 comments:

  1. This is perfect, absolutely perfect. I have never been to Pennsic and it pains my heart that I'll probably never have the opportunity to go, but this is how I feel after Gulf Wars. Spot on. Thanks for fucking Pennsic and letting others watch. ;) - Ceara from Ansteorra

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been to Pennsic 8 times but never to Gulf Wars. I have recently moved to Ansteorra (Bjornsborg/San Antonio) so now I'm closer to Gulf Wars, I was wanting to check it out. Your reply has made that want greater.

      Delete
    2. Derby, I can guarantee it will not be as epic as Pennsic, but it is a wonderful event. Only about 3500 ish people, so it is more intimate.

      Delete
    3. Gulf Wars was my first ever event and it totally convinced me to join. I'd been flirting with SCAdianism for 30 years, but Gulf Wars convinced me to join. It was magical!

      Delete
    4. Derby, I lived in Ansteorra for 15 years so Gulf War was my principal war. I have now moved to Atenveldt and the Estrella War site is literally 30 minutes from my house. While it, too is a great war, there is a reason I will still continue to travel 1800 extra miles than I did from living in Texas to go to Gulf War every year. In some ways it is MORE epic than Pennsic. It has pretty much all the stuff Pennsic has but on a slightly smaller level, so you can actually experience more. Pennsic is so big it can be overwhelming and hard to see everything. (and the people in Bjornsborg are epicly awesome!)

      Delete
  2. Fuck yes! This is EXACTLY how I felt when I went a few years back! :-D The memories are also just as precious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know you but I love you. Stay sane until we go home again after the long and treacherous town run.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 50 weeks. we can do this! i hope...

      Delete
    2. I don't know either of you and i love you both for your input. I went to Pennsic 6x, and due to unemployment i haven't gone back in 3 years. The YEARNING doesn't diminish.

      Delete
  4. I haven't been to Pennsic in years, swore I wouldn't go back, and now I miss it and really wish I'd gone. Maybe next year?

    ReplyDelete
  5. YES! Last year was my first Pennsic, and I felt exactly what you have written here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. When you come back next year, we will all say welcome home...

    ReplyDelete
  7. This was my 34th Pennsic. You absolutely, totally, nailed it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is utterly AWESOME. NOONE COULD OF DESCRIBE IT MORE PERFECT!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't know you, and I've never been to Pennsic. But thank you thank you thank you. Stay safe until you can go home again - and maybe next year we will travel the road together. Mijna from Meridies

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for this. I don't know you, and have never been to Pennsic, but thank you. Stay safe until you can go home again, and maybe next year we can travel the road together.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It used to be Pennsic, and now it's Raglan; but yes. Except the bacon.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nine years ago you were on the phone with me when I pulled into Pennsic for the first time. I remember saying to you...."what have I gotten myself into?!". Things have never been the same and I knew one day you would share it with me. Love you, Honig

    ReplyDelete
  14. I could not love this more if I fucking tried.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yobba, yobba, we accept you, we accept you, one of us!

    -- Inali of Tanasi, who joined the SCA back before there WAS a Pennsic, and has never gotten there save in his dreams

    ReplyDelete
  16. And Fuck you for making realize, yet again, that I miss Pennsic so damn much. (but RL has intervened. Haven't been there in 8 years. )

    ;-)

    Perhaps next year.

    ReplyDelete
  17. oh yes, how could i get four hours sleep for two weeks straight, in blistering weather and still fell fabulous??? the mind is a wonderful thing and happiness shows us what we could feel like, bodily, all the time. We need much more pleasure in our lives! I heart Pennsic although the 24 hour drive and the heat daunt me. But. I. Must. Go. Back.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is Awesome. It has been many a year since I've attended. You brought back many memories. 49 weeks...hummm. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. It's Called going HOME! That is what Pennsic is to me.


    ReplyDelete
  20. That was awesome...now I am really really bummed I couldn't go this year...one question, where dis you get the pic for that pavilion at the end...cuz it is sort of framiliar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I googled SCA Pavillion :-)

      Delete
    2. i spotted it last year on the 'Geti. it sorta stands out.

      Delete
  21. How wonderful you had such a fine time, milady.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Well, they have changed the dates to earlier... Maybe next year. Work has kept me away since Pennsic 26.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I remember....my last War was 15 of more years ago. I remember when we hit 5,000 attendance and were thrilled. 10,000 and overwhelmed....I remember standing in line for XXV War Court, and my train was 20 feet long (I kid you not - we had four ladies to keep it out of the dust). I remember Wars before that, when the Peerage and its responsibilities didn't sit heavily on my shoulders. When I went and wandered and played my harp (not at 7am, but once the Tower boys miked me at 3am, to counter the drums across the lake). I remember the freedom to just enjoy life, and spending 5-14 days living the moment, instead of the future.

    Mostly, I don't miss it, but you brought all the tastes and smells and feelings back. Thank you (or fuck you, not sure which). More, I'm glad that Pennsic, which I know has changed, has essentially stayed the same.
    Countess Aria de Chatillon, OL, etc etc

    ReplyDelete
  24. I loved this piece. Great writing, and great passion.

    ReplyDelete
  25. armor an/or kilts. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Your excitement about it rejuvenates my first few times at Pennsic.

    And trust me... when you get to know people and they greet you at troll with "Welcome home" it gets SO MUCH better.

    — Valizan, Ealdormere.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Steve, my husband bought solar panels and a battery so he could use his cpap. Hope you find a way to make it work in the future. Sorry your Pennsic sucked.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Yes - exactly - I've been to Pennsic 15 years now and I still feel like this - yes - every time.

    ReplyDelete
  29. There comes a time in life when one can't do Pennsic anymore. So for two weeks, you think about your loved ones who are there, and are happy for them, and feed on the snippets of photos people share while there. And you wait for the flood of photos that happens AFTER war week, the post Pennsic picture barrage. And you remember the sites the smells, the sounds. And it is not quite the same, but it is rejuvenating in its own way. Enough. When something is so good that the memory of it sustains you, it must be a very good thing...

    ReplyDelete
  30. This year's war was especially nice. I know because my husband went and thoroughly enjoyed himself. :-) Me? Well I was at home with the cats because I can no longer go due to health reasons. And yes, I do miss it... But there are pictures and stories from friends that ease the ache of missing it to a degree. Thanks so much for sharing Pennsic through your eyes.

    Baroness Ailith the Kind

    ReplyDelete
  31. Just got back from a glorious 2 weeks at Pennsic. My heart is still there...

    ReplyDelete
  32. I couldn't read all the comments but I suppose they all boil down to some forms of thank you. I went over 10 yes ago and I haven't gotten back since. You made me feel and smell and taste it again. For the span of a few paragraphs I was there with you. .... thank you for that bit of bliss in my day. Thank you from the depths of my dreamy happy heart :-) wonderfully written! You captured it about as perfectly as it could be captured in writing.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to read my ramblings...I think.